Estimator – Construction
The Estimator will support the sales and project management team in pursuit and tracking of work opportunities. The role is responsible for taking initiative, pursuing work in the marketplace, building client relations, etc. Work scopes: bridge construction, bridge repairs including deck patching (full depth & partial depth), parapit modifications, bridge joints, waterproofing, substructure concrete, steel repairs, bearing replacement, etc. Typical clients MHD, NHDOT, RIDOT, New England Municipalities, MBTA, Massport. Work as both a GC and specialty subcontractor. Senior estimator retiring soon after > 25 years. We are seeking a mid-career heavy highway estimator whom initially will work with the existing estimator for a few years than has what it takes to take over the estimating department.
Our client is a family-owned and operated business that has been serving the northeast for over 50 years. They treat their employees as part of the family and strive to provide the best working environment possible. Their clients have come to expect only the best service and professionalism from the team. They seek to hire people with a proactive mindset and the ability to work independently as well as with a team. Goal is to provide opportunities for employees to develop a career, not just another job.
- Assists with and prepares job cost estimates for federal and state opportunities as either a General Contractor (GC) or a Subcontractor;
- Coordinates and manages buyouts, resolves pricing related issues pertaining to sub’s job costs & materials;
- Prepares, coordinates and analyzes assigned jobs for year end meetings;
- Solicits new subcontractors/suppliers and ensures necessary pre-qualification steps are taken;
- Works with superintendents on scheduling and organizes project schedule;
- Secures pricing, sets up and issues subcontracts for all comprehensive jobs;
- Updates wage rates, materials and equipment costs as needed;
- Maintains and reports timely and accurate information to management;
- Researches new and upcoming opportunities for viability and fit
- Performs other duties as required.
- College degree preferred or equivalent experience in lieu of college degree required;
- Previous related estimating experience;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the construction industry;
- Ability to read and fully comprehend detailed construction plans, drawings and specifications;
- Possess excellent written & verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with the field, management and clients alike;
- Advanced computer skills required;
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment; and
- Must be proactive and solution oriented.