General Manager – Construction
The GM is responsible for maintaining the safety of our employees, quality of our work, and production of our operations across all functions of road construction. Success in this role requires exceptional planning and coordination skills to manage field operations. The GM will oversee Project Managers, Superintendents and Schedule Coordinators. To excel in this position, applicants must have a professional communication style, the ability to lead, and be focused on building high-performance teams in a fast-paced environment.
The GM will work to streamline communications between project managers, superintendents, crews, and the customer. They will need to communicate effectively with the head estimator and superintendents to make sure all jobs are properly staffed and project deadlines are met. They will be responsible for understanding and communicating the performance across many jobs with the goal of meeting or exceeding budgeted margins. They will also need to attend internal pre-construction meetings and facilitate job hand-offs from estimator to superintendent.
The GM should be capable of long-term organizational planning as well as training and development. A primary goal for this person is to identify opportunities to continually improve existing talent and develop new talent. They will need to think about resource needs and organizational structure changes in a fast-paced, growing business. They should plan to spend ample time in the field to maintain consistent employee practices and positive moral and relationships with employees.
Many more details will be shared with qualified applicants. I look forward to those discussions.
Director New England Region - ProSearch
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures
- Maintain a Safety Culture that fosters openness, innovation, idea sharing, and actions to improve
- Foster teamwork and a “one-company” sense of purpose for the team under your management
- Proven ability to drive profit.
- Proven ability to consistently build better than bid.
- Ensure efficient resource allocation
- Oversee construction operations to ensure that projects are built safely to the highest quality standards while remaining on time and within budget
- Use quarterly performance reviews to build your team, set expectations, and drive performance
- Clearly communicate with peers, customers, and direct reports any project issues, and develop solutions and action plans
- Work with Executive Leadership to develop long range strategic action plans
- Understand regional market dynamics, and assist in the execution of tactics to enhance performance
- Assist Estimating and Project Management Team by providing operational insights into upcoming bids
- Lead with a continuous improvement mindset
- Maintain a robust scheduling system which provides short and long term clarity to key resource demands (trucking, plants, equipment)
- Assist in finding and developing talent
- Provide the necessary clarity, standards, and feedback loops with all direct reports
- Continue enhancing our corporate image in the construction industry as the supplier and employer of choice in the paving construction materials market
- 8-10 years of experience with increasing responsibilities within heavy highway and airport construction industry. Primary focus being on asphalt paving and asphalt related pavement maintenance techniques.
- Experience in managing and directing large, complex operational teams
- Experience with Viewpoint, Bid2Win, and Microsoft suites of products
- Experience in long and short them scheduling techniques using current software tools
- Leadership, coaching, and mentoring skills to motivate teams to meet their full potential
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and act on financial data
- Exceptional verbal, written and telephone communications skills
- Strong presentation and professional letter writing skills
- NYDOT (Hudson Valley - Eastern NY) market experience a huge plus