Logistics Manager – Construction
ProSearch client has an immediate opening for a Logistics Manager with experience in all aspects of material transportation management, construction equipment transportation logistics and the efficient scheduling and coordination of personnel. This position is responsible for managing the efficient use of internal trucking fleet and; selection and coordination of 3rd party truckers; understanding of regional truck market dynamics; and use of the latest technology to monitor the performance of the fleet and use the data to make continuous improvements to the operations. Additionally, this position interacts with the Operations Planner/Scheduler to ensure efficient and cost-effective allocation of crews to projects. The ideal candidate will possess in-depth knowledge of milling and paving operations and understand the critical role that transportation and resource allocation plays in the outcome of successful projects. To excel in this position, applicants must have a professional communication style and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures.
- Work with drivers to ensure they are informed and educated so they can carry out their duties in the safest and most efficient manner possible
- Maintain a Safety Culture that fosters openness, innovation, idea sharing, and actions to improve
- Foster teamwork and a sense of purpose for the team under your management
- Work to ensure the Operations Planner/Scheduler is fully integrated into the team and has the necessary knowledge to perform the job properly
- Use yearly and mid-year performance reviews to build your team, set expectations, and drive performance
- Clearly communicate with Division Manager, peers, and direct reports any trucking issues, and develop solutions and action plans
- Provide necessary training and support to direct reports, allowing them to develop out new ideas and build on past success
- Understand regional trucking market dynamics, and in conjunction with leadership execute tactics to enhance performance
- Lead with a continuous improvement mindset by developing, enhancing and implementing the tools necessary to perform to the highest standards
- Ensure all 3rd party drivers fulfill contracted obligations including DOT regulations, policies, insurance requirement and procedures to ensure the safe and timely delivery of materials to the customer.
- Communicate with the Operations Team using internal scheduling tools to ensure the proper allocation and appropriate number of trucks needed to meet the scheduled production demands.
- Recruit and on-board 3rd party truckers who will fulfill the performance demands of the construction season.
- Conduct meetings with the internal and external fleet to ensure that company standards and procedure are followed, and gather feedback to understand the success and challenges of the team, so that we can provide them with additional tools for success.
- Maintain and monitor the contractual documents of 3rd party fleet and take the appropriate actions to ensure compliance.
- Meet with internal and external customers to understand how to provide better transportation of their construction materials and equipment.
- Use fleet scheduling and performance management platform to schedule trucks, monitor performance, and make appropriate actions to ensure the fleet is performing safely and efficiently.
- Work with estimating team to provide advice on trucking rates
- Review of daily fleet metrics and key performance indicators to maintain company objectives and drive a culture of continuous performance.
- Knowledge of construction or building material products; weights and measures laws and regulations; trucks and transportation requirements and regulations; local area and distances for pricing and delivery.
- Working knowledge of DOT regulations related to transportation logistics
- Thorough and detail oriented
- Must be able to multi-task with excellent organizational and planning skills
- Must be willing to work additional hours as needed
- Must possess excellent communication skills both verbal and in writing
- Read, understand, and manipulate digital maps
- Proficient computer skills with knowledge of current operating systems and Microsoft Office suite
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in the trucking or construction industry