Coordinates activities involved with procuring parts, goods and services such as raw materials, small equipment, tools, parts, and supplies. Acts as assistant fleet manager coordinating activities of workers involved in the setting up, installing, repairing and maintaining trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment by the following duties.
- Manage parts inventory
- Develop and track annual parts budget
- Fulfill mechanics parts requests
- Reviews requisitions for parts from mechanics to determine options, consults with shop foreman, mechanics and fleet director when needed.
- Confers with current and new vendors to obtain parts or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedules.
- Analyzes market and any cost savings in procuring parts vie e-commerce. (i.e.: Mack, Ford Fleet Rewards, Cat, Internet, etc.)
- Selects products for purchase (i.e.: nuts, bolts, shop consumables, etc.) by testing, observing, or examining items and presenting to maintenance staff (mechanics) for evaluation. Suggest change of vendors when needed.
- Proper utilization of purchase order system
- Oversees Parts Runners and assigns them to different shifts as needed.
- Evaluates problem situation(s). Develops options of repair scenarios with Shop Foreman for the most cost-efficient repair.
- Maintains procurement records such as parts, supplies, small equipment, or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance, on computerized records and inventories.
- Completes partial audits of computerized inventory records to ensure accuracy and sufficient quantities on hand.
- Discusses defective or unacceptable goods or services with the mechanics and takes corrective action with vendors, inspectors or other quality personnel. (Warranty Issues)
- Approves invoices for payment.
- Expedites delivery of parts to mechanics.
- Recommends for disposal any surplus parts and materials and method of disposal.
- Develops and installs parts counter, stock room, and parts runner’s procedures and practices, studies work flow and shop arrangements to determine expediency of parts movement.