Paving Crew Foreman
The asphalt paving crew foreman will be responsible for directing and managing all on-site construction workers, subcontractors and equipment. They will work with management and project coordinators regarding scheduling, manpower, and materials while enforcing the company’s direction, policies, procedures and safety standards, while meeting construction deadlines.
- Organize and coordinate the daily activities of all crew members, subcontractors, equipment and utilize corrective action to keep the project on time and on budget.
- Plan work in an efficient and effective order, maximizing progress in a safe and timely manner.
- Review and adhere to construction schedules, ensuring milestones and completion dates are met.
- Lead, direct people, equipment and resources in the construction of roads and parking lots.
- Ensure sufficient deployment and productivity of work crews.
- Work as a team member and leader to carry out sub-grade preparation.
- Use survey equipment to ensure proper grading
- Ensure subgrade materials and base gravels are laid to contract specifications.
- Observe asphalt and subgrade to determine potential quality control issues, and apply necessary corrections. Specifically, identifying segregation, drainage issues, densities and other quality concerns of the job.
- Identify and execute best practices concerning the efficient use of construction materials.
- Ensure company equipment is lawfully operated, cared for, maintained and used effectively.
- Read and interpret project plans and specifications.
- Operate heavy equipment and other construction duties as necessary.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Monitor and manage employee attendance, ensuring timely arrival and participation of all crew members, and notifying employees of rain days, prior to the start of work.
- Delegate tasks and accountabilities, instruct, supervise, lead and direct crew base.
- Review safe work plans/hazard assessments with crew prior to job commencement.
- Investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the work site, and ensure proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the Company’s Safety Program, and encourage all employees, subcontractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Work is performed in an outdoor environment which can include inclement weather, cold and/or heat and humidity.
- Exposure to sun, dust, asphalt and other construction conditions.
- Overtime and long days may be required depending on project flow.
- Constant physical effort, including standing, is required during a regular work shift of at least 8 hours per day. Employee must be able to stand for extended periods of time, and stoop, bend crouch, as required to perform key duties.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 lbs on a regular basis.
- Frequently work with hands extended overhead, and the use of arms and hands in repetitive motions.
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities including the activities of other employees and subcontractors, the operation of stationary and equipment and the movement of mobile equipment.
- Must be able to operate and climb on and off heavy equipment safety
- Use of personal protection equipment is required.
- Knowledge of road construction methods, road construction materials and industry requirements.
- Knowledge of heavy equipment and the ability to operate the equipment when needed
- Ability to inspect, maintain, repair and clean equipment
- Contribute towards the success of the organization
- Self-starter, sense of urgency to meet project deadlines
- Strong ability to multitask and set priorities effectively
- Problem solves. Be flexible and adaptable to change
- Demonstrate professionalism and strive for excellence
- Communicate effectively with management, crews, and subcontractors
- Demonstrated ability in time management
- Demonstrated ability as a team leader with supervisory skills.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience within the asphalt industry
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as a Base or Paving Foreman
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening